Lap Pool Renovation Update
It has been unusually hot weather, and we are all missing our lap pool, but the lagoon pool is being well used. We would like to update you on the pool renovation as time schedules have unfortunately changed. The pool renovation works have been significant, and more than just a removal of the epoxy and tiles and then a repaint.
The works completed to date are:
- Pool lines acid flushed.
- Pool emptied.
- Coping and waterline tiles removed.
- Pool earthing tested and rectified.
- Pool lines pressure tested.
- Stainless steel reinforcement required of 8 skimmer boxes.
- The pool render has been inspected by the engineer for cracking and other damage. Render removed and repairs made. Quality assurance inspection by engineer of the repairs.
- Pool render was also found to be powdery and had to be sand blasted.
- Pool expansion joint removed and replaced.
- Screed for tiling was applied and cured. Inspected. Screeding was drummy, so removed and replaced. If this was left, the tiles would have eventually come loose.
- All tiles and tiling works are being done with Metz approved tiles and tilers as specified by the pool engineer. It is critical application of the tile adhesive is completed correctly to ensure water does not get behind the tiles, resulting in the tiles falling off.
- Stairs have been cut down to uniform size. On doing this, the stairs were found to not be reinforced and they were hollow and holding water. Engineer specified reinforcement and repairs have been completed.
- Installation of new stainless handrails, new pool lighting and lane rope hooks installed.
Tiling is underway and once complete; the epoxy needs a coat to be applied in 24- or 48-hour intervals over 6 consecutive coats. It then requires 2 to 3 weeks curing. The pool will then take 3 days to fill. Unfortunately, this has resulted in the delivery timeframe to be extended out. It is inconvenient but it is important that all the preparation and the work carried out is completed as per the engineers and product manufacturers specifications. This will ensure longevity of the pool and correct warranty guarantees.
Any rain fall will affect the delivery program, as surfaces need to be completely dry for tile or epoxy application. Questions have been raised to the feasibility of covering the pool to lessen the impact of rain. Whilst residential sized pool covers/shelters are readily available, one to entirely cover a 25m pool is not. Advice received is that tarps provide limited protection and may be used time to time but fixing them to prevent them blowing away is also challenging so once again, protection from the rain is limited.
During the curing time, the turf area adjacent to the lap pool is being renovated. The existing turf will be removed, fixed umbrella holders are being concreted in, new soil underlay and turf to then be installed.
This explanation on the progress of the lap pool works will hopefully help to gain an understanding of matters beyond our control and the new completion date is now the 16th of November.
The recent warmer than normal weather has also amplified the absence of access to our lap pool so I understand that this update will not be well received. The priority is to ensure corners are not cut and that the pool renovation is completed to a high quality to ensure longevity and that Breakfast Point owners are getting a quality product for their levies.
Spa repair update
The spa was tested for leaks, and leaks were found in 3 locations in the pipe work external to the spa.
Missing mosaic tiles have been replaced, coping tiles also removed and replaced.
Lighting has bene repaired.
New spa heater installed and to be commissioned once spa can be filled (at same time as pool)
Lagoon Pruning Palm Works
The Bi-annual Palm Pruning will be from the 9/10/23 to the 13/10/23.
Country Club Merchandise
After many requests from members, and just in time for Summer, we will be launching sales of Breakfast Point Country Club merchandise. Drop in to see the new range of sun visors, towels, and tote bags. These items will be available to purchase at Reception from 16th October 2023.
Breakfast Point Community Association