Much of the area at Breakfast Point was previously occupied by the Mortlake Gas Works of the Australian Gaslight Company (AGL), which began developing the site in 1883.
The Mortlake Gasworks site offered river access for colliers from Newcastle—known as ‘sixty milers’—to bring coal (then converted to gas for residential and industrial use) and offered virtually unlimited space for expansion.
The gas works remained in operation until the 1990s. In 1998 AGL, after a selected tender process, selected Rosecorp Pty. Ltd. to progressively acquire and develop the Mortlake site. Redevelopment proceeded until 2021.
See ‘A History of Breakfast Point’, courtesy of long-time resident, Kevin Guest.